Data Curation Network Summer 2022 NCDS Interns

We are pleased to announce the DCN’s partnership with the National Center for Data Services (NCDS) in their new Internship Program. This summer three interns have been placed at the DCN to learn more about data librarian work, gain practical experience in the field, work with experienced mentors, and collaborate on projects they can present at conferences in the LIS field. These internships are funded with Federal funds from the National Library of Medicine (NLM) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH).*

About the NCDS Internship Program:

“In an effort to diversify the profession, the National Center for Data Services (NCDS) of the Network of the National Library of Medicine (NNLM) provides internships for people from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups. The goal of this program is to introduce students from historically excluded racial and ethnic groups to data librarianship in a health sciences context.”

Mentors for this program are Scout Calvert, Wind Cowles, Jennifer Darragh, Shanda Hunt, and Sophia Lafferty-Hess. Over the course of the next 10 weeks mentors will provide guidance and lend their expertise to interns as they work through DCN projects. 

From June 6th, 2022, until August 6th, 2022, Aundria Parkman, Liliana Gonzalez, and Maria Arteaga will be joining the DCN community.

Brief Intern Bios

Meet: Liliana Gonzalez

Email: Liliana.Gonzalez2@nyulangone.org

Institution & Program: University of Kentucky, Master of Science in Library Science

What are you most interested in learning while at the DCN?

While at DCN, I am most interested in learning about best practices in data curation that will ultimately help advance the work of communities of researchers. 

What’s your favorite cuisine? 

My favorite cuisine is Mexican (preferably from my mom’s kitchen, but open to others of course). 

What do you like to do in your free time?

In my free time, I like to read, attempt to walk my cats, and buy more plants than I reasonably have room for.

Meet: Maria Arteaga Cuevas

Email: Maria.Cuevas@nyulangone.org

Institution & Program: University of Washington, Master of Library and Information Science

Why is the Data Curation Network important?

The Data Curation Network is important because it provides an environment where data curators of all disciplines can collaborate and advance the field of data curation, while also providing opportunities for the professional development of its members. As an MLIS student, I am very new to this field but I am already feeling welcomed and supported in my goals as an intern working with the DCN. My previous experience with data curation was for a class project which pushed me to look deeper into the field, and left me wondering about how data curation is applied outside of the classroom setting. I look forward to learning more about these real-world applications and becoming more enthralled with data curation as a whole. 

What’s your favorite cuisine? 

My favorite cuisine is Mexican cuisine. I am Mexican myself and I am never tired of trying everyone’s sazón. It can be so specific to a person. For example, though my mom learned how to cook from my grandma, their sazón is very different!

Meet: Aundria Parkman

Email: Aundria.Parkman@nyulangone.org

Institution & Program: Louisiana State University, Master of Library and Information Science

The Data Curation Network is important because it meets the needs of researchers during the data cycle. I am most interested in learning the processes behind data curation and, specifically, about  the roles  of data repositories and what makes them so critical within data curation.  

What’s your favorite cuisine? 

My favorite foods are all things Italian from meatballs to pizza to tiramisu. 

Be sure to say hi to Aundria, Liliana, and Maria this summer on Slack!

Please contact Shawna Taylor with any questions about the internship program at: staylor@arl.org. 

Thank you again to the NCDS for partnering with the DCN on this internship program, as we appreciate this opportunity to learn and grow together. 

*This project has been funded with Federal funds from the National Library of Medicine (NLM), National Institutes of Health (NIH), under cooperative agreement number UG4LM01234 with the University of Massachusetts Chan Medical School, Lamar Soutter Library. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.